Working visa in Japan

A working visa in Japan, officially known as a "Certificate of Eligibility," allows foreign nationals to engage in employment activities in the country. Japan offers various types of working visas based on the nature of work, skills, qualifications, and specific fields of expertise. Here's an overview of the working visa system in Japan:


Types of Working Visas:

Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services:

This visa is for individuals engaged in specialized fields such as engineering, IT, humanities, international business, and other professional services.

Skilled Labor:

Designed for skilled workers in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and other technical fields.

Intra-company Transferee: For employees transferred to a branch, subsidiary, or affiliated company in Japan.

Highly Skilled Professional:

This visa is for individuals with exceptional skills, knowledge, or achievements in specific fields, offering preferential treatment and benefits.

Business Manager:

 For those establishing or managing a business in Japan.


This visa is for individuals employed as instructors or teachers at educational institutions.


 For artists, performers, musicians, and entertainers engaged in cultural or entertainment activities.

Technical Intern Training: 

Designed for individuals participating in technical intern training programs.


Certificate of Eligibility (CoE): Before applying for a working visa, the prospective employer or a sponsoring organization in Japan must obtain a CoE from the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. The CoE confirms that the foreign national meets the requirements for a specific visa category.


Application Process:

Visa Application: Once the CoE is obtained, the applicant can apply for a working visa at a Japanese embassy or consulate in their home country or country of residence.

Required Documents: The specific documents vary depending on the visa type but generally include a valid passport, completed visa application form, passport-sized photos, CoE, educational certificates, employment contracts, and other supporting materials.

Visa Interview: In some cases, a personal interview may be required at the embassy or consulate.


Length of Stay: The initial working visa is typically granted for one to three years, depending on the visa category and individual circumstances. Renewals can be applied for to extend the stay if the employment continues and the necessary requirements are met.


Post a Comment